[Foundation-l] "All human knowledge", by Jimmy Wales (?)

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 16 14:25:50 UTC 2011

Hello,

Today I read on a WMDE driven website:

"»Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der das gesamte Wissen der
Menschheit jedem frei zugänglich ist. Das ist unser Ziel.«
Jimmy Wales"

(Imagine a world in which the entire knowledge of mankind is freely
accessible to everyone. That is our goal.)

I never read that in English. Jimmy Wales actually said: "... the sum
of all human knowledge".

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales

And I think that there is a huge difference between "the sum of
all..." and "all...". By the way, the traditional encyclopedias
described themselves by "the sum of all..."

But a number of Wikimedia national organizations seem to have
difficulties with Jimmy's phrase. They 'translate' it to "all..." I
did not succeed, for example, in explaining to my own national
organization why it is wrong what we have on our business cards.

Am I the only one seeing a problem here?

Kind regards
Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk