[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:39:11 UTC 2011

Am 16.09.2011 13:50, schrieb Strainu:
> 2011/9/16 Tobias Oelgarte<tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>:
>> We (the German authors) are bound to German law, since the page is
>> directed at an major German readership (Schutzlandprinzip). But we also
>> have to take care of US-law, since the servers are hosted inside the US.
>> The later applies for the content the WMF hosts, not for us German
>> contributers. But to be nice, we consider US-law as well.
>>
> Tobias, that I can understand. What I don't understand is why one
> should call emijrp stupid instead of explaining that this is a German
> Wikipedia rule ment to protect the majority of users users from
> inadvertently breaking the law of their country.
>
> And I still don't understand why you called that example "stupid".
>
> Strainu

I call this example "stupid", since it was constructed to make a point,
even so it was lack of knowledge to propose it that way and it creates
an awkward subtopic with no relation to the initial problem (see
headline) whatsoever.

This was the blatantly assumption/imputation that the image filter would
be fine, since we already self censor ourself; which isn't true. We just
respect the copyright law, to protect the readers/reusers. (Print a book
with that image and publish it inside Germany. If noticed by the
original author/photographer you might be in trouble).

Tobias