[Foundation-l] Minor projects withering and dying? Really?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:25:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> Wiktionary is useful; perhaps you're referring to my comments, which were
>> not about Wiktionary at all. Wikiquote definitely does not belong as a
>> sister project. Maybe it is a "shining beacon" in the cesspool of
>> internet
>> quote sites; well, there are lots of things the rest of the Internet does
>> poorly, that doesn't mean it's automatically the WMF's job to create a
>> project to do it better.
>
> I think it is our mission to publish reference works. That is what we do.
>
> Reference works include Encyclopedias, dictionaries, collections of
> quotations, of images, and of texts.
>
> Wikinews is not a reference work, although it has archives.

"Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given
free access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're
doing." - Jimmy Wales

"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment." Wikimedia vision
statement

Wikipedia may be the most famous site in the Wikimedia universe, but
there is nothing that limits projects to reference works.

-Andrew