[Foundation-l] Minor projects withering and dying? Really?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Sep 13 17:51:29 UTC 2011

> Wiktionary is useful; perhaps you're referring to my comments, which were
> not about Wiktionary at all. Wikiquote definitely does not belong as a
> sister project. Maybe it is a "shining beacon" in the cesspool of
> internet
> quote sites; well, there are lots of things the rest of the Internet does
> poorly, that doesn't mean it's automatically the WMF's job to create a
> project to do it better.

I think it is our mission to publish reference works. That is what we do.

Reference works include Encyclopedias, dictionaries, collections of
quotations, of images, and of texts.

Wikinews is not a reference work, although it has archives.

We could do a news aggregator which would be a reference work of a sort.
It would be a record of what was in the news that day. It might be useful
provided it was not full of dead links.

Fred