[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 6 23:03:33 UTC 2011

Comments inline:

On 09/06/2011 03:33 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> All good news!
>
> The player support is definitely a lot nicer -- and I think we've been
> running extra JS stuff from that on Commons for a while.

Yea the js has been running as a gadget for a while. But I have forked
away from the gadget as it was reworked for the new ResourceLoader / TMH
extension and reworked for other use cases of the library such as the
Internet Archive player, the Adobe Dremweaver widget and to support the
Kaltura platform mobile feature set across hundreds of deployments. More
info on html5video.org

> The generation & handling of derivative files looks like the biggest
> candidate for potential breakage / rewriting from what I recall (it's still
> pretty basic in terms of managing processes, so if anything goes wrong it
> may be tricky to recover).

I did address all the bugs you outlined a while back. I don't know if
you have gotten a chance to review the latest, but you do get a detailed
status on every transcode job, its failure message, time of failure,
amount of time spent transcoding, all with a db back end and "managed"
memory / time ffmpeg shell calls with wfShellExec and nice. End web
users with the 'reset-transcode' permission can use a web interface to
reset any given transcode job.

The transcode job runner has been running on
http://prototype.wikimedia.org/timedmedia ( it has been heavily taxed )
but its been up for about month and a half, unmanaged and is still
accepting and running new jobs.

That being said, looking forward to more testing and review to identify
anything we can do to improve the robustness of the system.

> IIRC the incremental uploads aren't part of TMH directly, but is also in
> Michael's sphere of awesome projectness. :)

Yes that work was done by Jan Gabber who is helping out as well. Upload
Wizard has support in trunk for incremental uploads, awaiting review and
to flip the configuration flag to turn it on. This would let us accept
much larger files since they would come in 1 meg at a time.

peace,
--michael