[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Sep 6 22:33:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> > The code exists and has been revamped a few times in response to reviews,
> > but I'm not sure whether there are actually any assigned resources for
> > pushing it to production at this time.
>
> Yes, there are. Ian and Neil are scheduled to do a code review of TMH,
> once remaining high priority issues with UploadWizard have been
> resolved, later this month. Before we've done an initial assessment of
> the code, it's hard to give a realistic deployment estimate -- there
> may be parts that need to be rewritten or taken out. So I won't commit
> us to a public date just yet, just to say that it's definitely
> something I'd like to see user-visible progress on this calendar year.

All good news!

The player support is definitely a lot nicer -- and I think we've been
running extra JS stuff from that on Commons for a while.

The generation & handling of derivative files looks like the biggest
candidate for potential breakage / rewriting from what I recall (it's still
pretty basic in terms of managing processes, so if anything goes wrong it
may be tricky to recover).

Simply being able to upload larger files will be a big help as well; audio
and video clips from eg conference talks are routinely hard to upload to
Commons because of the 100mb limit we still have in place for plain HTTP
uploads and limited access to upload-by-URL.

The upload size limit could be bumped a bit more, but can only be bumped so
far before it starts using too much memory during upload -- but there's been
work on incremental uploads too, which for many modern browsers will be able
to kick in automatically and will bypass that side of the limits, provide
better upload progress feedback, and be more reliable in the case of flaky
connections or having to put your laptop to sleep!

IIRC the incremental uploads aren't part of TMH directly, but is also in
Michael's sphere of awesome projectness. :)

-- brion