[Foundation-l] A reminder about mission statements and vision statements.

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:04:43 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Kim Bruning <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Why? Because our mission is to make things free (as in speech).
> You may have heard about that ;-)

Here is WMF's mission statement:

"The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage people
around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free
license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and
globally.

In collaboration with a network of chapters, the Foundation provides the
essential infrastructure and an organizational framework for the support and
development of multilingual wiki projects and other endeavors which serve
this mission. The Foundation will make and keep useful information from its
projects available on the Internet free of charge, in perpetuity."
Here is the vision statement:

"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. "

Just thought I'd remind people of the actual Foundation mission and vision,
since technically Wikipedia itself does not have a mission statement (and
perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong).  Wikipedia however does have
the purpose to be the world's largest free encyclopedia.

Commons also only
> hosts actual free (as in speech) images. Because -hey- that's

their mission.

As I have always understood it Commons scope is: "Wikimedia Commons is a
media file repository making available public domain and freely-licensed
educational media content to all. It acts as a common repository for the
various projects of the Wikimedia Foundation."

However, I am beginning to think that Commons might have to change it's
scope since "educational media" has evolved to encompass what everyone
believes is every free image on earth.

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>