[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 6 22:15:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> The code exists and has been revamped a few times in response to reviews,
> but I'm not sure whether there are actually any assigned resources for
> pushing it to production at this time.

Yes, there are. Ian and Neil are scheduled to do a code review of TMH,
once remaining high priority issues with UploadWizard have been
resolved, later this month. Before we've done an initial assessment of
the code, it's hard to give a realistic deployment estimate -- there
may be parts that need to be rewritten or taken out. So I won't commit
us to a public date just yet, just to say that it's definitely
something I'd like to see user-visible progress on this calendar year.

Whatever remaining bugbears are lurking in the code, TMH definitely
represents the key set of features that are needed to make video in
Wikimedia projects suck significantly less (multi-codec and
multi-bitrate derivatives generation; a non-ugly player skin; subtitle
support). This is really a baseline feature set that we have to get
done (this and better large file upload support) to not give users an
embarrassingly bad video experience.

--
Erik Möller