[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Brasil + WMF

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 18:37:17 UTC 2011

On 9/1/11 5:37 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> On 8/28/11 1:00 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>> I think that developing such a legal entity should be a high priority
>> for Brazilian Wikipedians to ensure that Wiki activities in Brazil are
>> controlled by Brazilians. At the same time I don't think there is any
>> value to having a WMF appointee on your board; such a person would find
>> it difficult to function under circumstances of perpetual conflict of
>> interest.  No other chapter has such a clause.
>
> I had never thought of this before, but now that it has been mentioned,
> I just wanted to disagree, quite respectfully because Ray is awesome of
> course, and say that I think it is a very interesting idea to have a WMF
> appointee on the boards of chapters.
>
> There should be very few cases where there is a "conflict of interest"
> since chapters and the Foundation are deeply tied together always (and
> that's a good thing).  I think having a Foundation representative on the
> board of chapters does present some possibly insurmountable logistical
> issues (who will they be?) but I actually think such an arrangement
> might be incredibly valuable for improving communication and
> *decreasing* perceived conflicts of interest.
>
> --Jimbo

Beside the excellents points raised by my collegues ...

I cannot wait to see the WMF representative learn the local language to
be able to communicate with the chapter board members

... or for WMF to pay a translator in 30+ languages to do real time
translation of board meetings, operational reports translation, real
time general assembly discussion translation....

AHAHAHAHA

Florence