[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Brasil + WMF

Florence Devouard anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 2 19:11:03 UTC 2011

On 9/1/11 5:37 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> On 8/28/11 1:00 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>> I think that developing such a legal entity should be a high priority
>> for Brazilian Wikipedians to ensure that Wiki activities in Brazil are
>> controlled by Brazilians. At the same time I don't think there is any
>> value to having a WMF appointee on your board; such a person would find
>> it difficult to function under circumstances of perpetual conflict of
>> interest.  No other chapter has such a clause.
>
> I had never thought of this before, but now that it has been mentioned,
> I just wanted to disagree, quite respectfully because Ray is awesome of
> course, and say that I think it is a very interesting idea to have a WMF
> appointee on the boards of chapters.
>
> There should be very few cases where there is a "conflict of interest"
> since chapters and the Foundation are deeply tied together always (and
> that's a good thing).  I think having a Foundation representative on the
> board of chapters does present some possibly insurmountable logistical
> issues (who will they be?) but I actually think such an arrangement
> might be incredibly valuable for improving communication and
> *decreasing* perceived conflicts of interest.
>
> --Jimbo

I can not help commenting a bit more on the matter of "conflict of
interest". I think I can probably say more on the matter than most
people here.

First because I pushed a LOT for the adoption of a COI policy on the
board of WMF. And this generated lot's of painful discussions between
you, Michael and I. In particular with regards to your involvement with
Wikia.

Second because Wikimedia France used to have in its bylaws that it had a
representant of WMF on its board. With veto rights.

Third because I used to be that person.

Our bylaws were changed a few years ago, as to decrease to a maximum the
risk of WMF being considered liable in France through Wikimedia France.
Removing this representative was the first obvious recommendation of the
lawyer.

Fourth because I pushed with others for this rule according to which
there should be no overlap between board of chapters/WMF and no overlap
between staff and board as well. And I resigned from Wikimedia France
board to respect that rule.

The truth is.... being a board member requires to be totally loyal to
the organization you are a board member of.

One should not vote according to personal interests nor according to the
interest of another organization one is also member of, to the detriment
of the first.

You seek to remove "perceived" conflicts of interest, even if that means
creating "real" conflicts of interest ?

Because there would be conflict of interest and rather BIG ONES.

We are facing rather severe challenges right now. Let's say it straight,
Wikimedia Foundation is simply trying to absorb/control the chapters as
is they were simple bureaux of the WMF locally and chapters kind of
disagree with WMF idea that centralization is a good move for the
mouvement...

I can not begin to imagine how unconfortable a representant of WMF would
be if he were on the board of a chapter. Would he be loyal to the
chapter ? Would he be loyal to the WMF ? How fair would that be to ask
*anyone* to be put in such type of situation ? And which would be the
impact to the public ? (in particular to other funding organizations ?)
And how much chance is there that WMF could actually shoot itself in the
foot in doing this ?

FLorence