[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 20:46:40 UTC 2011

* Nikola Smolenski wrote:
>Who is this "we" you are talking about? No one is going to force anyone
>to categorize images. If some people want to categorize images, and if
>their effort turns out to be in vain, again that is Their Problem and
>not Your Problem.

When your filtering or categorization choices affect others in any way
then your choices have moral and ethical implications that people find
it hard to ignore. Few people would stand idle by when they learn you
flag images they find very appropriate as inappropriate. You can claim
not standing idle by is their choice; and you would be mistaken.

>Who the hell are you to forbid me or allow me to use a piece of
>software? I want to use this category based filter, even if it is
>unavoidably non-neutral and a censorship tool. And now what?

Nobody is arguing that you shouldn't be able to use some software.