[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sun Oct 23 19:42:57 UTC 2011

* Erik Moeller wrote:
>With that said, I also think it's important to remember that Sue has
>explicitly affirmed that the development of any technical solution
>would be done in partnership with the community, including people
>who've expressed strong opposition to what's been discussed to date.

There was a plan for that, "The Wikimedia Foundation, at the direction
of the Board of Trustees, will be holding a vote to determine whether
members of the community support the creation and usage of an opt-in
personal image filter". Pretty logical question to ask, if a majority
opposes the feature there is not much point in developing it, and when
a majority supports it, development would be much easier. The community
would likely have rejected the proposal if it had been given the chance
to do so and had been properly informed of criticism, so the community
was instead told the matter is already decided, was not informed of any
criticism as part of the referendum, and wasn't given the option to
clearly express opposition. That's how Sue Gardner understands partner-
ship with the community. I don't think the community wants more of it.