[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Dirk Franke dirkingofranke at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:14:21 UTC 2011

Hi Eric,

thanks for your answers. For me they were really helpful, and I hope they
can lead to some understanding-

Some of these ideas are explored here:

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Next_steps/en#Potential_models_for_hiding_images
>
> Is there a similar brainstorming page on dewiki already? If not, would
> you be interested in organizing some community discussion on whether
> there are solutions within the scope of the resolution that the dewiki
> community would find acceptable, or whether the prevailing view is
> that the resolution itself should be scrapped altogether?

Right now I am afraid, the resolution has become highly symbolic, and a page
like this would mean a general acceptance of the resolution. I think you can
find people who would work on such a page. But it will impose severe social
costs to the editors if they are seen doing this - and what is more
important, I have severe doubts if they would be legitimized to speak for
the community.

Although I actually think, there are ways to reconcile the community and the
Board. As far as I understand it, there are several criteria which are
highly important to the community:

- No interference in the editorial process from outside.
- Especially not on this way, which would mean no discussion or no
possibility to react for the community.
- The only judgement on contents should be, whether they are in their given
context educational or not. Not if they are considered morally good or bad.
- Especially when this judgement is done by people who seem to be far
outside of the common value set shared by Germans.

regards
dirk/southpark