[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sun Oct 23 17:58:45 UTC 2011

Erik Moeller wrote:
> With that said, I also think it's important to remember that Sue has
> explicitly affirmed that the development of any technical solution
> would be done in partnership with the community, including people
> who've expressed strong opposition to what's been discussed to date.
> [1]
>
> [...]
>
> [1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-October/069472.html

What does "partnership with the community" mean here? In a subsequent
mailing list post to this list, you propose a detailed solution:
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-October/069909.html>

Some might think, given your position, that this is what the engineering
department will soon start working on. Is this the case? Was there any
partnership with the community on this idea?

I think any serious consultation with the community starts and ends on-wiki.
If only there were some sort of meta-wiki where people from the Wikimedia
projects could come together and discuss brainstorming ideas for a workable
filter...

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Controversial_content/Brainstorming

MZMcBride