[Foundation-l] Letter to the community on Controversial Content

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Sun Oct 9 16:19:40 UTC 2011

On 9 October 2011 08:50, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 October 2011 16:31, church.of.emacs.ml
> <church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/09/2011 04:56 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>> If the WMF picks a fight with the community on something the
>>> community feel very strongly about (which this certainly seems to
>>> be), the WMF will lose horribly and the fall-out for the whole
>>> movement will be very bad indeed.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> (And I say that, not being opposed to the image filter itself)
>
> Indeed. I'm not in against the filter. In fact, I'm very much in
> favour of it. I am, however, very much against civil war.

Nobody wants civil war.

Please read Ting's note carefully. The Board is asking me to work with
the community to develop a solution that meets the original
requirements as laid out in its resolution. It is asking me to do
something. But it is not asking me to do the specific thing that has
been discussed over the past several months, and which the Germans
voted against.

The Board is hoping there is a solution that will 1) enable readers to
easily hide images they don't want to see, as laid out in the Board's
resolution [1], while 2) being generally acceptable to editors. Maybe
this will not be possible, but it's the goal. The Board definitely
does not want a war with the community, and it does not want people to
fork or leave the projects. The goal is a solution that's acceptable
for everyone.

Thanks,
Sue

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content
--

Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!