[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 10:30:17 UTC 2011

On 22/10/11 22:56, David Gerard wrote:
> On 22 October 2011 22:51, Tobias Oelgarte
> <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> What approaches do you have in mind, that would empower the editors and
>> the readers, aside from an hide/show all solution?
>
> And, in detail, why is a hide/show all solution inadequate? What is
> the use case this does not serve?
>
> The board have not detailed what arguments unanimously convinced them,
> both for the original resolution and, even after all the debate, to
> uphold it unanimously again after months of acrimonious objection. If
> restarting communication with people who no longer trust them is
> considered important, then, if they could please each (individually)
> do so, in as much detail as possible, that would help a *lot*.
>

> - d.

I agree.

A cookie-based "hide all images"/"show all images" toggle clearly
visible in the toolbar at the top of pages. together with
click-to-reveal for individual images when in the "hide all" mode should
be all that is needed to deal with the various cultural concerns
regarding images, as well as concerns about censorship.

It would also be very easy to implement.

Perhaps an exception might be made for images displayed at less than,
say, 30x30, to allow for icons and things like small embedded symbols
within text -- although small nav images could conceivably be used for
image-trolling, I would imagine that just about any WP community would
regard that as unencylopedic, and block any attempts to do so.

I'd be interested in any arguments that might be made against such a
proposal.

- Neil