[Foundation-l] News from Germany: White Bags and thinking about a fork

Fae fae at wikimedia.org.uk
Sun Oct 23 10:50:36 UTC 2011

> A cookie-based "hide all images"/"show all images" toggle clearly
> visible in the toolbar at the top of pages. together with
> I'd be interested in any arguments that might be made against such a
> proposal.

How about the fact that newspaper websites regularly include shocking
images of violence and death on their main pages and have few
complaints as they rely on editorial control rather than built-in
software tricks? This is a solution looking for a problem, the key
argument has always been that there is scant evidence that the public
are asking for these options and our beloved projects already have a
great reputation for good editorial judgement/consensus.

If any person, institution, ISP or country wished to control images on
Wikipedia they can use readily available add-ons or filters, most for
free, without the Foundation having to use charitable funds to build
it in as a controversial default and take legal responsibility when it
fails.

Cheers,
Fae