[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 5 10:31:12 UTC 2011

On 5 October 2011 11:20, church.of.emacs.ml <
church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 10/05/2011 06:25 AM, Aaron Adrignola wrote:
> > I'm sure those on this list are familiar with the de.wikipedia poll on
> the
> > proposed image filter with its strong outcome on a particular side of the
> > debate.  I am quite concerned about the precedent that it.wikipedia is
> being
> > allowed to set.  Should I expect that de.wikipedia would be allowed to
> stage
> > a similar "blackout" should the image filter be implemented against their
> > wishes, with the goal of protesting perceived or potential censorship?
>
> Are you seriously comparing that italien law to the proposed image filter?
>
> Are you aware of the principle of proportionality? What might be okay to
> do against a law that would kill Wikipedia is different from what is
> okay to do against piece of software that would most likely have only
> minor effects for the reader.

A quote:

The problem, of course, with the principle of proportionality is that
usually it is invoked by one of the stakeholders, who blithely misses the
issue - which is that they are disagreeing over the consequences.

The point being; for these hypothetical Wikipedians running such a protest
the consequence of an image filter may not match your own view...

Tom