[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia - What exactly does the proposed law say?

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 4 22:23:31 UTC 2011

On 4 October 2011 23:12, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andreas Kolbe, 04/10/2011 23:40:
> > Is it that disputed content will have to be *removed* if a request is
> received, and *replaced* with the BLP subject's statement?
> > Or is it that BLP subjects have the right to ask for a correction to be
> posted on the page, *in addition* to the disputed content?
> > I can read some Italian; a link to the proposed text of the new law,
> along with an indication of the relevant section or paragraph, would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Paragraph 29
> <
> http://www.camera.it/Camera/view/doc_viewer_full?url=http%3A//www.camera.it/_dati/leg16/lavori/schedela/apriTelecomando_wai.asp%3Fcodice%3D16PDL0038530&back_to=http%3A//www.camera.it/126%3FPDL%3D1415-B%26leg%3D16%26tab%3D2
> >
> It's not entirely clear how it applies to wikis. It says "with the same
> graphics, the same website access way and the same visibility", and you
> can't alter or comment it. So, probably put it at the top (or the side)
> of the article and protect it forever, or something like that. Who
> knows... The parliament doesn't know how Internet works, and they don't
> care.

I'm still a little bit confused how this will impact Wikipedia, though.

The law seems to be clear in identifying the website owner as the person to
contact; which is a US not-for-profit.

Don't get me wrong; despite my moaning I do support thie it.wiki community
in opposing this (whether or not it affects them) just as helped I oppose
all the idiotic French internet laws that came through some time ago. Indeed
I just finished drafting a letter to the IT Consulate here, plus one for my
MP & something for the various media contacts I have.

However, you know, I still register my discomfort with actually "closing"
it.wiki in protest :S

And I would still be interested to hear actual analysis how this might
affect editors directly (because if it does; then this leaves interesting
questions like - what about Facebook? Forum posts? Emails? Blog comments?
etc.)

Tom