[Foundation-l] Blackout at Italian Wikipedia - What exactly does the proposed law say?

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:26:03 UTC 2011

Thomas Morton, 05/10/2011 00:23:
> I'm still a little bit confused how this will impact Wikipedia, though.
>
> The law seems to be clear in identifying the website owner as the person to
> contact; which is a US not-for-profit.

Which law? And which law speaks of website owner? Anyone can be asked to
publish the correction/statement.

> Don't get me wrong; despite my moaning I do support thie it.wiki community
> in opposing this (whether or not it affects them) just as helped I oppose
> all the idiotic French internet laws that came through some time ago. Indeed
> I just finished drafting a letter to the IT Consulate here, plus one for my
> MP&  something for the various media contacts I have.
>
> However, you know, I still register my discomfort with actually "closing"
> it.wiki in protest :S
>
> And I would still be interested to hear actual analysis how this might
> affect editors directly (because if it does; then this leaves interesting
> questions like - what about Facebook? Forum posts? Emails? Blog comments?
> etc.)

Yes. Even blog or Facebook comments are at risk with this law.
Everything is subject to it.
I hope that the italian prominent jurist Stefano Rodotà confirming that
the law would affect Wikipedia badly and the protest is justified will
be enough for you:
<http://espresso.repubblica.it/dettaglio/wikipedia-rivolta-on-line/2162962/12>

Nemo