[Foundation-l] keeping localization in mind

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 23 17:38:52 UTC 2011

On 3/23/11 6:17 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> ==WikiLove, Twinkle and Huggle==
> Sue mentions the WikiLove gadget in her letter. To the best of my
> knowledge WikiLove only works in the English Wikipedia, but the letter
> invites all readers to use it. Believe it or not, some Wikipedias
> don't even have barnstars.

All of these gadgets, including Wikilove, exist in other languages. Not
mentioning them because they haven't been ported to every language would
be a bit extreme. I also don't really understand your point about
linking to 'Eternal September'. You say that you aren't suggesting that
people not link to English Wikipedia, but then what is the point of your
argument? Are you suggesting that we pre-translate every linked article
into all 269 languages and then protect them all as well? Obviously that
isn't very practical.

Ryan Kaldari