[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 00:24:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Arthur Richards <arichards at wikimedia.org> wrote:

>> Yes, that was what we were said several years ago
>>
>> and I think now there's ample evidence to show it was true, look at
>> all the partnerships and support we got
>
> I presume you meant that sarcastically?
>
> I don't know much about any official partnerships the Foundation has,
> but a non-trivial amount of in-person collaboration and information
> sharing goes on on a regular basis in the office between other tech
> organizations/companies (like Reddit, Google, OWA, Creative Commons,
> CiviCRM, etc) that would be impossible if we were working in an office
> in, say, Duluth, Minnesota.  Or St. Petersburg, Florida for that
> matter.  This has extraordinary benefit for us, at least in the
> technology department.
>
> Arthur

Thank you for your enlightening response.
* Reddit ... a project with values similar to ours
* Google  ... a project with values similar to ours
* OWA  ?¿
* CivicCRM  ... this one offers services to help internal management
* Creative Commons  ok, finally one project with similar values than
ours: free content

Now, out of the five, only one is actually related and shares similare
values with our purpose.

Then if you're part of staff,  you're ina much better position to know
about the benefical exchanges allowed by the move (which I agree, it's
pointless to discuss now, what's done it's done). But now, if there
are so many benefits over these years, but even people working closely
don't know, this only hilights how disconnected are the elite from the
working community.

Now, actual exchanges  that have got a lot of publicity and results:
Kaltura: SF? No.. NY
PediaPress:  SF? No, Germany