[Foundation-l] Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:25:01 UTC 2011

On 5 March 2011 16:12, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I appreciate that we may only be able to exclude donors who are logged
> in readers from banner ads. But it is better in my view to say "Yes we
> can do that,  but you would have to tell us your username and be
> logged in to avoid ads" than to tell them "Sorry we can't switch off
> those ads".

Logged in users make up an incredibly small portion of donors. This
year, we stopped displaying banners to logged in users entirely after
a while (it seems that logged in users either donate early or not at
all). I wouldn't be surprised if that is done sooner in future. If
that's the case, then there isn't much point using user names to avoid
showing banners to people that have already donated.