[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:46:23 UTC 2011

Maria and the rest of the list,

I deeply regret if my words or comments came off "racist" "patronizing" or
"isolated". I re-read my writing multiple times before sending it, and just
intended on making a general statement about the work I'm interested in
exploring, without overwhelming the list. I am sorry if it failed.

I really appreciate hearing your thoughts and ideas about my research. I
recently presented my paper at the Indigenous Peoples and Museum conference
and had a few responses similar to yours, and a few positive responses on
the opposite side of the spectrum.

This is all an exploration, and an ongoing experience. Your words, and the
words of others similar, constantly remind me of my place and the interests
of some community members. As a Wikipedian, I am devoted to many aspects of
the community, including retention and encouraging new editors, and to know
that I have stifled that by coming off as "racist" and "isolationist" goes
against what I am fighting for.

While I am not here to post my resume, tell you what I do for a living
outside of my work and schooling, share my experiences, and give a list of
who my friends are and friends aren't - I assure you that my intentions are
not meant to be purely selfish (all research is a bit selfish) and I never
intended on judging entire communities on a whole.  In regards to being
"overlooked," I meant that in reference to Wikimedia Foundation being a
United States based organization focusing more so on international efforts.

To be honest, your email was a slap in the face. Thank you again for sharing
your thoughts, I take your letter very seriously.

-Sarah