[Foundation-l] Showing the difference between the sexes

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Sun Feb 13 09:49:17 UTC 2011

And do you want it to be implemented :) But that question is to be
answered on a community level of course - but I guess there are a few
potential reasons why they might not want to implement it:
* It could potentially give people the feeling they have to tell their
gender: some people might not be willing to (male or female)
* Although grammatically correct, I would find "gebruikster" in Dutch
very weird - because it is rarely used it would put a huge emphasis on
the fact that someone is female - this will depend per language.
* I'm no expert in the field, but I can imagine some issues around
transgender people
* If you have a male/female version, and someone never told which they
are: which will be the default? Male of female?
* What to do when people fill in the "incorrect" gender? Will there be
attempts to enforce correctness? (because it could be perceived as
lying)

etc. I would be a supporter of making it possible for a community to
make this choice, but I would not like us to make that choice for
them.

Best,

Lodewijk