[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 85, Issue 52

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 26 06:17:32 UTC 2011

On 04/25/11 7:06 PM, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> I always thought that translations were considered "wholely derivative",
> that is that a new copyright is *not* created, by translating.

It would be nice if things could be that easy; a third person using the
translation must respect the copyright of both the author and
translator, even when the translation is an infringement.  I know of no
law that distinguishes wholly derivative from partly derivative. Some
translations, especially of poetry, take a great deal of skill and
originality to convey the sense of the source language. Translations of
the same work by different translators can vary considerably.

Ray