[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 85, Issue 52

HW waihorace at yahoo.com.hk
Tue Apr 26 11:42:27 UTC 2011

Baidu do not translate anything copy from English Wikipedia or Japanese
Wikipedia, but just keep the full content without attribution and changing
anything. There are totally about 50 articles copy from Eng & Japanese WP.
HW

________________________________
寄件人﹕ "WJhonson at aol.com" <WJhonson at aol.com>
收件人﹕ foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org
傳送日期﹕ 2011/4/26 (二) 10:06:34 AM
主題: Re: [Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 85, Issue 52

I always thought that translations were considered "wholely derivative",
that is that a new copyright is *not* created, by translating.

In a message dated 4/25/2011 1:57:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
saintonge at telus.net writes:

On  04/25/11 9:33 AM, Joan Goma wrote:
> My interest in a legal opinion is  not to know if what they do is legal or
> not.
>
> My  interest is to know for example what can they do if I copy the content
>  they previously have translated from an English Wikipedia article I  have
> previously written.

The translation would give rise to a  new copyright *in addition* to
yours. You would be infringing their  copyright. This all assumes that it
was a human translation.  If it  was a machine translation the argument
could be made that as a mechanical  process it lacked the originality
needed to acquire copyright.

>  How do they put a dollar figure on the damages suffered if the income
they
> get from that content is obtained from my work they have  translated
without
> my permission?

In principle damages are  evaluated on the basis of market activity. If
the quantum of damages is  the issue the burden of proof is on the person
seeking  damages.

> They only have my permission to publish derived works  under same license.
> Then I have the right to copy the derived works  back. So any damage they
> could claim is exactly the same damage I  suffer for not being able to do
> those copies.
No, because the  translation is not identical to the work you produced.
This still  does not account for how different jurisdictions will handle
the matter.  At first glance it would seem more convenient for them to
have the case  heard in a Chinese court and for you in a Spanish  court.

Ray