[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Apr 10 11:31:59 UTC 2011

> I know that nobody has the guts to do it, but I wonder... I wonder
> what would happen if all administrators, bureaucrats and so on where
> told to take a hike. What would happen if new requirements for being
> administrator and so forth included assuming real identities, and a
> set of real world qualifications. What it would be like to grant
> amnesty to all that are currently banned and/or blocked. What it
> would be like if there was separation of powers, and secret
> balloting. I wonder what it would be like if Wikimedia projects would
> borrow a little more from democratic principles. Yes, I wonder...
> Scary thoughts aren't they? No surprise though, coming from someone
> who is the scourge of countless Wikimedia projects and a troll
> according to many.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Virgilio A. P. Machado

We have real world experience, building and maintaining Wikipedia;
attaching a name to most of us is rather immaterial, it just invades our
privacy. We do need to welcome back users who have had trouble for one
reason or another, including you, and assure them that their
contributions to editing and policy deliberations is welcome. Wikipedia
really is open to anyone who is patient enough to work with us.

I've repeatedly advocated for second chances for some of our more serious
banned users, and occasionally unblocked them, resulting in general
dismay, "What are you thinking" is one of the kinder responses. However,
even given a second chance in good faith, nearly all revert to what got
them banned. Once a strong commitment has been made to be oppositional it
is rare to see a turn-around.

Fred