[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 04:25:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 21:37, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> I have a feeling that thinking of "better ways to treat them" may be
> quite difficult.

I fear the Foundation is making a mistake by focusing on quantity, not
quality. The last 10 years has seen the creation of a very experienced
editor and admin base. It's still not large (speaking now of the
English Wikipedia), but jointly it has a huge amount of really
valuable experience -- in writing, research, sourcing, achieving
neutrality, negotiating, compromising, managing crowds -- that
companies around the world would give their eye teeth to secure for
free. And yet we see so little focus on how to stop those volunteers
from leaving.

My own view is that if we focus on quality, new editors will continue
to arrive, because they'll see this as something worth being part of.

Sarah