[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Lennart Guldbrandsson wikihannibal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:27:30 UTC 2010

Hello,

While I recognise that most of us use free software as much as we can, one
element that haven't been brought up in this thread yet is the matter of
time. Some FLOSS solution simply take more time than proprietary ones, and I
know for a fact that the tech team have soooo much things to do that we
should a) give them a break if they investigate a matter properly (which
they seem to have done here) and decide that a proprietary solution will
have to do for now, and b) try to help them as much as we can, by solving
problems they haven't time to solve themselves. Let's therefore close this
thread and move on to more important things.

Best wishes,

Lennart

2010/10/27 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>

> 2010/10/27 Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com>:
> > Let's not get carried away here. I am always interested to seeing
> > alternatives to the tools I use myself and I'm willing to dig through
> > some not-so-clear notes or whatever to find information, if that
> > spares me some testing time. That was the sole reason I insisted for
> > the release of the information.
>
> As I mentioned further upthread,
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FLOSS_Exchange is intended as a public
> home for documentation. I'd love to see subpages in future for
> experiences of individual Wikimedia organizations with specific
> software, including go-or-no-go decisions on FLOSS solutions. We'll
> grow & develop this stuff as we find time. Feel free to capture some
> of the information from this thread on that page or otherwise help
> make it more useful.
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Lennart Guldbrandsson, chair of Wikimedia Sverige and press contact for
Swedish Wikipedia // ordförande för Wikimedia Sverige och presskontakt för
svenskspråkiga Wikipedia