[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Oct 27 13:48:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Lennart Guldbrandsson
<wikihannibal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some FLOSS solution simply take more time than proprietary ones, and I
> know for a fact that the tech team have soooo much things to do that we
> should a) give them a break if they investigate a matter properly (which
> they seem to have done here) and decide that a proprietary solution will
> have to do for now, and b) try to help them as much as we can, by solving
> problems they haven't time to solve themselves. Let's therefore close this
> thread and move on to more important things.

Last I checked there was plenty of room to expand the tech team's
budget.  So I hope the decision wasn't simply a matter of not having
enough time.  A collaborative project making free educational content
needs free tools.  Google knows about the importance of collaborative
tools.  That's why they created Google Apps.  Hopefully there's at
least a plan in place for eventually migrating back off of Google.

Now, agreed, let's close this thread and move on to more important
things: expanding the tech budget.