[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

Philippe Beaudette pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
Sun Oct 3 23:49:44 UTC 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Newyorkbrad wrote:

> And, something I should
> already know the answer to but just realized I don't, who within the
> foundation or community makes this type of decisions, anyway?

One of the key points that kept being reiterated in the Strategic
Planning process was that we have no method for "failing well".  For
saying - we tried this, and it didn't work  (I'm not saying that's the
case here, but I'm just using this as an example).  The community
makes the determination to close a language version, putatively, but
in practical terms it's proven difficult to do.  Generally it's an RfC
on Meta.  I think the last major contentious one was the Simple
English Wikiquote?  Once the decision is made, then it falls to the
developers to actually flip the switch or say the magic words, or do
whatever it is they do to close the project.

Philippe

Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!