[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Sun May 23 21:13:58 UTC 2010

James Alexander wrote:

> That is basically exactly how I see it, most times you "double check"
> something you are only the 2nd person because the first check is done by the
> original author. We assume good faith, we assume that they are putting
> legitimate and correct information into the article and checked to make sure
> it didn't break any policies, it's just that because of problems on that
> page we wanted to have someone double check.

That's a good attitude, but such an interpretation is far from
intuitive.  Our goal is to select a name that stands on its own as an
unambiguous description, not one that requires background knowledge of
our philosophies.

I'll also point out that one of the English Wikipedia's most important
policies is "ignore all rules," a major component of which is the
principle that users needn't familiarize themselves with our policies
(let alone "check to make sure" they aren't breaking them) before
editing.

David Levy