[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon May 24 00:40:30 UTC 2010

On 05/23/2010 02:13 PM, David Levy wrote:
> James Alexander wrote:
>
>> That is basically exactly how I see it, most times you "double check"
>> something you are only the 2nd person because the first check is done by the
>> original author. We assume good faith, we assume that they are putting
>> legitimate and correct information into the article and checked to make sure
>> it didn't break any policies, it's just that because of problems on that
>> page we wanted to have someone double check.
>>
> That's a good attitude, but such an interpretation is far from
> intuitive.  Our goal is to select a name that stands on its own as an
> unambiguous description, not one that requires background knowledge of
> our philosophies.
>
> I'll also point out that one of the English Wikipedia's most important
> policies is "ignore all rules," a major component of which is the
> principle that users needn't familiarize themselves with our policies
> (let alone "check to make sure" they aren't breaking them) before
> editing.

Allow me to quote the whole policy: "If a rule prevents you from
improving or maintaining Wikipedia, ignore it." That implies, in my view
correctly, that the person editing is presumed to set out with the
intention of making the encyclopedia better.

I think that fits in nicely with James Alexander's view: we can and
should assume that most editors have already checked their work. Not
against the minutiae of our rules, but against their own intent, and
their understanding of what constitutes an improvement to Wikipedia.

Given that, I think double-check fits in fine, both in a very literal
sense and in the colloquial one. I ask people to double-check my work
all the time, with the implied first check always being my own.

William