[Foundation-l] Spectrum of views (was Re: Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening)

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Tue May 11 19:44:16 UTC 2010

Hi,

2010/5/11 Noein <pronoein at gmail.com>:

> On 11/05/2010 12:44, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> I would propose that the reason we are subject to such a _small_
>> amount of complaint about our content is that much of the world
>> understands that what Wikipedia does is —in a sense— deeply subversive
>> and not at all compatible with "ideas which must be suppressed".  This
>> fact gets a lot of names, some call it a "liberal bias" though I don't
>> think that is quite accurate.  But there very much is a bias— a
>> pro-flow-of-information bias.  We don't always realize we have it, but
>> I don't think we deny it when we do.
>
> And there is a general consensus here about those libertarian views?
> I'm impressed. Sorry to repetitively check the ethical temperature of
> the community, but I come from social horizons where it's not only not
> natural, but generates hatred. I never could talk about libertarian
> ideas outside of one or two family members and two or three friends.
> Here, it seems the norm, and I simply can't believe it.
> As I said before, Wikipedia acted like a magnet on me. I'm wondering if
> it's uniting all the (internet connected) libertarian of the world. In
> this case I'm surprised that it didn't receive more serious attacks from
> the establishment.

I think that, world wide, people from conservative or traditional
cultures don't have as much Internet access as people with libertarian
views. This is specially true outside of the Western world. That may
explain why there are not so much opposition to the libertarian
position of Wikimedia. Internet access helps to get a larger view,
better understanding of other cultures, and a more open opinion on
sensitive subjects.

Yann