[Foundation-l] Spectrum of views (was Re: Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue May 11 21:26:18 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 11:58 AM, Noein wrote:
> And there is a general consensus here about those libertarian views?
> I'm impressed. Sorry to repetitively check the ethical temperature of
> the community, but I come from social horizons where it's not only not
> natural, but generates hatred. I never could talk about libertarian
> ideas outside of one or two family members and two or three friends.
> Here, it seems the norm, and I simply can't believe it.
> As I said before, Wikipedia acted like a magnet on me. I'm wondering if
> it's uniting all the (internet connected) libertarian of the world. In
> this case I'm surprised that it didn't receive more serious attacks from
> the establishment.

I'm not sure how strong the consensus is, but I'd be careful about
reading anything too wide into the fairly narrow set of issues we
discuss here. The "libertarians" on this issue are taking a narrow
position on availability of materials deemed offensive, and aren't
necessarily political libertarians in the wider sense of low-tax,
free-market, small-government sort of libertarianism. (Some are, but I'd
guess that plenty of people with libertarian views as to Wikipedia
content policies are politically on the left.)

-Mark