[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

praveenp me.praveen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:20:23 UTC 2010

Consider Malayalam Language sentense "വിക്കിപീഡിയ ഒരു നല്ല വിജ്ഞാനകോശം ആണ്"
means "Wikipedia is a good encyclopedia". How one can understand if a
translator picks meaning of Malayalam words and create an English
sentence like "wikipedia one good encyclopedia is". Please think about
more complex sentences. Sentence structure of Indian languages are
completely different from English or European languages. Google's
current attempt putting extra weight over tiny communities by pushing
them complete rewriting (Easiest way is deletion because some sentence
does not make any sense at all). I am not against machine translations
but Google must improve their tool or toolkit before trying it over
small wikipedias.