[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:49:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:20 AM, praveenp <me.praveen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Consider Malayalam Language sentense "വിക്കിപീഡിയ ഒരു നല്ല വിജ്ഞാനകോശം ആണ്"
> means "Wikipedia is a good encyclopedia". How one can understand if a
> translator picks meaning of Malayalam words and create an English
> sentence like "wikipedia one good encyclopedia is". Please think about
> more complex sentences. Sentence structure of Indian languages are
> completely different from English or European languages. Google's
> current attempt putting extra weight over tiny communities by pushing
> them complete rewriting (Easiest way is deletion because some sentence
> does not make any sense at all). I am not against machine translations
> but Google must improve their tool or toolkit before trying it over
> small wikipedias.

Nor google nor the wmf is creating articles automatically via machine
translations.
Google is not pushing translated articles.

Toolkit is a page where you can see a (sometimes not good)
translation, and you (if you want to) are able to complete or fix it.

When you believe it is complete, you upload it to wikipedia, just like
you waoult upload a fully manual translation when you consider it's
complete.