[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 15:31:57 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 25/7/10, Fajro <faigos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Machine translation is always unsuitable to produce usable
> articles, but can
> help to start new ones in smaller wikipedias.

I second that. About 50% of machine translation output is gibberish, or worse, plausible-sounding text that actually says the opposite of what the original said. To get it into readable form takes about as long as starting from scratch.

Translation memory software only helps where content is repetitive.

A.