[Foundation-l] Is Google translation is good for Wikipedias?

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 10:18:49 UTC 2010

Aphaia, a great deal of confusion has been created with regards to
this project. I hope you'll allow me to attempt to clear it up.

These are NOT articles that were translated directly by Google
Translate. Rather, they were created using Google Translator Toolkit,
which requires human intervention by a speaker of the language -
someone to check and correct every single sentence translated, in the
case of languages where Google already has machine translation, or to
write entirely new _human_ translations, in the cases where no Google
Translate module exists (for example, Tamil), with the aid of
Translation Memory software.

I currently work as a translator and have found that Google Translator
Toolkit is great for speeding up and improving the consistency of
translations, and at least the results of my work are usually better
with it than they would be without (I'm glad for the consistency - if
I'm translating a large document, I'd like to make sure to translate
the same phrases the same way every time they occur rather than using
slightly different wording the second time around). Since they're
revised and corrected by a human, they _should_ have the same level of
grammatical correctness, comprehensibility and translation quality as
a pure human translation. If they don't, this is the fault of the
person using the toolkit, not the software itself.

-m.