[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 12:38:36 UTC 2010

Just another general update/comment.

It seems that the template is back once again at the ace.wiki mainpage,
after another removal by a steward earlier. This time it is accompanied by a
"Wheel-warring" notice, with a request that removal of the template is
discussed prior to doing so. The reason for adding this additional template
is posted here<http://ace.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marit_Ureu%C3%ABng_Nguy:Si_Gam_Ac%C3%A8h#Wheel_war_on_main_page>
.

Besides this, there are several other area's where the issue is currently
being discussed.
- This area<http://ace.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A8dia:B%C3%A8k_peuhina_Islam>seems
to be a vote where people discuss the inclusion of the template on the
main page. Since Google cannot handle the language used i am not certain
though.
- This section on a talk
page<http://ace.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marit_Ureu%C3%ABng_Nguy:Si_Gam_Ac%C3%A8h#Please_do_not_revert_the_main_page_state>discusses
the issue (In english). However, it seems to be a somewhat
circular discussion where group A says that the template shouldn't be placed
there for NPOV reasons, while the other group says that the addition of
those images on En.Wiki is not NPOV.
- The last discussion<http://ace.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marit:%C3%94n_Keu%C3%AB#DELETE_IMAGES_INSULTING_PROPHET_MUHAMMAD_PBUH_FROM_WIKIPEDIA>seems
to be mainly inactive, as it contains only one or two posts detailing
whether or not the template should be there.

I believe that we are currently left with two issues:
A) May a wiki main page be used to suggest the boycott of another Wikimedia
project if there is on-wiki concensus on adding such a template?
B) If this isn't allowed, what should be done about it, since it would
appear that we currently have a wheel war back and forth. Based on the three
votes currently cast and the total size of the community, i would equally
say that we can be sure that disallowing it would override local consensus.

Note that B is an optional issue. If the template is allowed there is no
secondary concern.

~Excirial