[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:42:55 UTC 2010

*This template now also exists on the English Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:No_Prophet_Muhammad_Images

As an en.wiki admin, my first instinct would be to nominate it for
deletion, as this template is outside of scope, a violation of NPOV, and
potentially disruptive. Then the discussion concerning it could be had
at the TfD page. Would nominating it for deletion be a good idea or a
bad idea? Are there any alternatives that make sense in this situation?*

I would argue that in its current form the template is a violation of the
campaigning policy, as it is a clearly biased message being redirected at
other users, along with a call to boycot Wikipedia. I think that such a
template is not tolerable from any group  regardless of faith, geographic
area and so on. If the template stated "This user believes that there should
be no images of Muhammad on Wikipedia" i would be fine with it, but in its
current form this is little more then a serious NPOV violation.

Besides, allowing this template would set a bad precedent. I don't think
that allowing users to create "<Objectionable X> is placed <ThereandHere>
All <Group> Wikipedians must boycot Wikipedia. This template will never be
removed" is a positive way to start communication between editors in a
diversified ethnological group such as Wikipedia. To be honest i can think
of a lot of ethnic groups that would use such templates to taunt each other.

 As a final note i would point out that this template is only transcluded on
two pages, and that the creator is the same admin that made it on ACE.
Seeing this new template i am affraid that i now seriously question that
user's fitness for adminship. An admin should be impartial and unbiased,
with at least a basic acceptance of NPOV so that they can mediate between
users that believe different things. In this case the words "PoV pushing and
"Tedious editing" come to mind which is never a good thing, but if those
words arise when i think of an admin, i find it outright worrisome.

~Excirial