[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:41:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Acehnese Wikipedia is a young project. They are entitled to their
> mistakes. It is for this reason important that we first talk with them about
> what it is that they do. We should not start talking TO them about what they
> are to do.
>
> The current talking TO them is not polite and will not lead to positive
> results. It is similar as if I were to say to the English language community
> that they have to change their way because their community consensus is
> incompatible with WMF official board sanctioned policies.

I agree completely with Gerard, and also want to ask that we extend
the same standard to this discussion on the mailing list.

We can look at this issue and say "stupid fundamentalists," but that's
hardly productive, and very quickly devolves into a thread with posts
that are, at best, pretty darn rude.  I really don't want to have to
moderate five people this weekend when it finally gets to the point of
outright Muslim-bashing.

Austin