[Foundation-l] At school

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 10:12:08 UTC 2010

Hi Tyler,

The problem of vandalism is indeed one and it will remain so. Most
people don't realize actually that not "everybody" can edit, or if he
does, it is very likely that his edit will be reverted. That is our
real problem - it is difficult to join the team, which may become
smaller and no longer capable to fight vandalism and check
information.

I wonder, by the way, which works teachers will recommend in the
future. "Don't use Wikipedia", all right, but what else? The printed
encyclopedias die away in these times.

Once I read what pupils in Germany are allowed to use for their final
essay (when they are 18 and are going to leave grammar school).
Practically everything: local newspapers, brochures from
organisations... To me as a historian, that is horrific, at least if
you use that as Sekundärliteratur (what you Anglo people call
"secondary sources"). So - if the pupils are allowed to use that, why
not even Wikipedia? :-)

In general: "Never before people knew so little about something they
use so often", as a German journalist said about Wikipedia. I am
looking forward to the results of the bookshelf projects and the
possible effects...

Kind regards
Ziko

PS:
"the bureaucrat of the Hebrew
wikipedia, came on stage and said "How can you trust an encyclopaedia that
anyone can edit? How can you trust an encyclopaedia that no one can edit!!""
Shlomi, that*s a good one from your bureaucrat!

2010/2/16 Tom Maaswinkel <tom.maaswinkel at 12wiki.eu>:
> I can understand why 'outside' people would think that wikipedia is
> unreliable. But don't all the articles have sources? So why don't they
> just learn their students to verify the sources themselves (help us out
> while they're at it) and then they'll see quick enough that wikipedia is
> reliable.
>
> I showed to one school once by vanadalizing a page myself and they were
> amazed how soon that was put straight again. Ok, I cheated a little by
> notifying someone else up front, but they didn't know that :-)
>
> Tom "TheDevilOnLine" Maaswinkel
>
> Op 16-2-2010 9:03, Dorozynski Janusz schreef:

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde