[Foundation-l] At school

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Tue Feb 16 16:32:15 UTC 2010

On 02/16/2010 02:12 AM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> In general: "Never before people knew so little about something they
> use so often", as a German journalist said about Wikipedia.

In a strange way, that pleases me; as Danny Hillis says, "What people
mean by the word technology is the stuff that doesn't work yet." That
people use Wikipedia regularly without caring about the the inner
workings is a sign that we've done something right. Of course, it might
be too right; maybe we'd like people to pay better attention to the
quality of what they're reading.

Interestingly, the people who make luggage X-ray machines have a similar
problem: problems are rare enough that the operators get bored and stop
looking. Their solution is something called Threat Image Projection:
they randomly add pictures of bad things to images of real bags. When
the operator notices something dangerous, they press the "threat"
button. If they don't notice a projected threat, it's counted against
them. That keeps the operators alert enough that they'll hopefully
notice real threats.

I'd love to find some way to usefully apply this approach to Wikipedia,
but haven't come up with anything yet. Perhaps someone here will.

William