[Foundation-l] WMF Chapter Development Director job posting

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Aug 23 14:57:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 07:32:17 -0700, Steven Walling
<steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> When the Wikimedia Foundation runs a project, it should be obvious that
> such
> a project can be easily understood from its perspective. For me the WMF
is
> worldwide organisation and consequently its actions should be acceptable
> from that perspective. When the WMF runs a "pilot" project like the
current
> public policy project, it should therefore conform with its global
> perspective. Given that it is about SUBJECT MATTER whose appreciation
> differs from country to country it is weird that no "foreign"
universities
> are part of this project. It is also easy to argue that from a cost
point
> of
> view, this project requires less funding when it is run in many other
> countries. The fact that it is run only in the USA also has NPOV
> implications.

I raised similar objections on this list when the project has been
announced, and I received a reply that the choice of four US universities
was somehow related to the conditions on which the grant was extended. I
find this explanation to be fair enough.

Cheers
Yaroslav