[Foundation-l] WMF Chapter Development Director job posting

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:32:17 UTC 2010

When the Wikimedia Foundation runs a project, it should be obvious that such
a project can be easily understood from its perspective. For me the WMF is a
worldwide organisation and consequently its actions should be acceptable
from that perspective. When the WMF runs a "pilot" project like the current
public policy project, it should therefore conform with its global
perspective. Given that it is about SUBJECT MATTER whose appreciation
differs from country to country it is weird that no "foreign" universities
are part of this project. It is also easy to argue that from a cost point of
view, this project requires less funding when it is run in many other
countries. The fact that it is run only in the USA also has NPOV
implications.

Ever heard the expression, the perfect is the enemy of the good? I assume
you're referring to the public policy project in the passage above.
Everything you say is true. The program should be extended to universities
outside the U.S. for a long list of reasons.

But it is just a beginning and no group of people, whether it's the
Foundation or volunteers, can do everything at once. Let's not let
perfectionism get in the way of trying something useful that could later be
expanded and refined to work at scale and internationally.

Steven Walling

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com