[Foundation-l] Partecipation in Wikimania 2011

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Aug 14 11:08:37 UTC 2010

Andrea Zanni wrote:
>> I think that Tim's point was precisely to get to some non touristic-only
>> (i.e. often unreal) destination, to understand better the life of local
>> inhabitants and the conflict.
>> This is not part of Wikimania, obviously, but would be an interesting
>> possibility (e.g. more than beach, IMHO).
>>
> Maybe Neve Shalom (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neve_Shalom_%E2%80%93_W%C4%81%C4%A7at_as-Sal%C4%81m)
> could be a good (and peaceful) experience.
> I don't know Haifa, but maybe also there there are
> groups\location\associations worth a visit.
> Personally, I like very much the idea of a Wikimania explicitely aimed to a
> ''peaceful message'' (whatever this could mean).
> But still I don't want to force the WM Israel team to change the program, if
> this was not what they defined.

If you need to say "whatever this could mean" about the peaceful message
it's better to not make that an explicit message.  It would likely be
seen by many as a peaceful message from an Israeli perspective, and that
could too easily be seen as taking sides even if it isn't.

Any peaceful message should come from our actions, and not from some
stated policy.

Ray