[Foundation-l] Partecipation in Wikimania 2011

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Sat Aug 14 09:53:40 UTC 2010

On 14/08/10 11:33, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> I think that Tim's point was precisely to get to some non touristic-only
> (i.e. often unreal) destination, to understand better the life of local
> inhabitants and the conflict.
> This is not part of Wikimania, obviously, but would be an interesting
> possibility (e.g. more than beach, IMHO).

Yes, that was the point, but when I read up on Harel's suggestion of
Bethlehem, I realised that it would fit the bill well enough. It has a
recent history of violence: the IDF invaded it in 2002, in Operation
Defensive Shield. Part of the town was annexed to Israel by the
construction of the West Bank barrier. On the south side of the town
is one of the West Bank's many long-term refugee camps, established in
1949.

-- Tim Starling