[Foundation-l] Status of flagged protection (flagged revisions) for English Wikipedia.

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 14:58:58 UTC 2009

2009/9/29 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:

> Absolutely commendable.
>>> c) ensure that the extension is fully scalable to en.wp traffic volume;
>>>
> Why on earth would we like to ensure that, particularly
> *before* point d) ?

(...)

>>> d) deploy on en.wp as per proposal (potentially, per c, initially in
>>> some scale-limited fashion).
>>>
> Not doing d) before being sure of c) seems very much like
> putting the cart before the horse to me. Whether c) will be
> relevant at all would necessarily be contingent on the
> success of d), and the logical order thus should be to just
> do d) and see later if there is any relevance to c) at all.

I believe that "scalable" here refers to putting it on pages which
recieve the kind of traffic and editing (or editing attempts) that
very high-profile page on enwiki do, rather than "scalable to being
applied to three million pages".

At the time Michael Jackson's death was being reported last month, for
example, the page was recieving hundreds of thousands if not millions
of hits; we protected it. Had we flagged-protected it - which we
probably would have done - what would have happened? Would the system
have coped? Would we have been able to handle that flood of edits,
technically and organisationally?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk